Master of Arts (Government And International Relations)
This programme thus fulfills the need toward a degree that analyses both the government role in enhancing international relations. This field is becoming increasingly significant especially in this globalisation era where boundaries are being continuously challenged. It is also as a response to the call of the ASEAN Community 2015 which will bring about greater people movement across borders and increased attention on international relations.
This MA is designed to enhance knowledge and skills of individuals, so that they can elevate themselves, above on to a broader environment and acquire necessary skills to confront the complexities of development in the context of their societies, against the backdrop of increased globalization. This course is ideal for those who work in public service or the private sector, as students will learn how international forces shape their respective environments. Students will develop skills in policy analysis, get a systematic understanding of the threats to peace and security, and global forces shaping political, social and economic life.
Candidates who wish to apply for a Postgraduate Studies Program must have the following qualifications:
- Bachelor Degree with CGPA of not less than 2.75 from Universiti Malaysia Sabah or other institutions of higher learning approved by the Senate; or
- A bachelor degree from other fields that is approved by the Senate with at least 5 years working experience;
- Other qualifications equivalent to a Bachelor Degree and possessing other qualifications or experience approved by the Senate.
- Candidates who wish to continue their studies on Course Work mode must satisfy special conditions specified by their respective Faculties/Centres/Institutes.
- Candidates who are still in the final semester of a Bachelor Degree programme are allowed to apply depending on the recommendation of the Dean/Director of their respective Faculty/Centre/Institute;
- Candidates who do not satisfy the general conditions but possess work experience exceeding five  years in related fields may have their applications considered depending on the conditions set by the Faculty/Centre/Institute and approved by the Senate;
- Candidates who are currently working must acquire permission from their respective heads of department or employers before pursuing their studies;
- Each application must first be considered at the Faculty/Centre/Institute’s Postgraduate Studies Committee level before an offer letter is issued by Centre for Postgraduate Studies; and
- Incomplete application will not be processed and rejected.
INTERNATIONAL CANDIDATES ARE REQUIRED TO;
- Submit substantial evidence of financial status such as bank and sponsor’s guarantee letters and other supporting documents in order to ensure that the candidates are financially able to further their studies at Universiti Malaysia Sabah;
- Submit academic transcripts in English that are Verified or Certified as true by those responsible at their respective institutes of higher learning;
- Candidates from non-English speaking countries must submit an English language test result; be it IELTS [Band 5.5] or TOEFL [Band 5 or 500/173]; and
- Candidates who do not satisfy the requirement as stated above must enrol and pass (with grade B and above) in a Short-term Intensive English Language Programme [IELP] for 1 Semester organized by Universiti Malaysia Sabah before registering as a Postgraduate Candidate.
Theories of International Relations
Modern Political Thought
Govt and Politics of Malaysia
Malaysia Foreign Policy
Foreign Policy Analysis
Politics of Development
Teori dan praktik Penyelesaian konflik
Peace and Development
Strategi dan kemahiran transformasi konflik
Keselamatan Nasional Malaysia
International Political Economy
*Complete (4) electives course as offered by faculty