Master of Computer Science (Software Development)
The Master of Computer Science (Software Development) program provides a year of intensive education in software engineering and is ideal for graduates of disciplines other than computing. This course is designed to develop the technical, analytical and professional skills required to take on software development roles within the IT industry. Software development courses include Software Testing, Web Engineering, Mobile Application Development, Mobile Cloud Computing, Software Requirements Analysis Engineering, Software Security, Advanced User Interface Design and Advanced Topics in Software Development are essential to the technological evolution and advancement of most sectors within the economy. As a result, there is a very strong demand for software professionals.
The main objective of the program is to produce more skilled human resources in Computer Science with specialization in software and databases development, in order to support the development of computer-based industries to pave the way toward a knowledge-based economy at national and international level. The proposed program is designed to
- Provide graduates with advanced knowledge and skills in Computer Science with specialization in Software Development;
- Equip graduates with advanced theoretical principles and scientific methods Computer Science with specialization in Software Development to create effective solutions to problems and to evaluate them;
- Train graduates to work on a Computer Science project in which they propose, design, build, test, analyze, and deliver a computing solution to meet appropriate computing standards and realistic constraints;
- Instill graduates with skills to seek knowledge in Computer Science with specialization in Software Development through lifelong learning;
- Equip graduates with the ability to supervise and carry out research under supervision in the field of Computer Science with specialization in Software Development;
- Develop graduates’ effective communication skills in both written and oral form;
- Inculcate graduates with professional and ethical responsibilities in Computer Science with specialization in Software Development as well as understanding the possible social, economic, cultural, legal and environmental impact of their computing solutions in the global context.
Applicants should possess the following:
- A Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science/ Information Technology or equivalent with a minimum CGPA of 2.75 or equivalent
- A first degree or equivalent in any subjects other than Computer Science/ Information Technology with a minimum CGPA of 2.50 or equivalent in which the applicant may be accepted for admission into the master program, provided that all prerequisite modules in computing have been taken to adequately prepare them to pursue the Master of Computer Science.
- A Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science/ Information Technology or equivalent with CGPA less than 2.50 provided that the applicant has at least five (5) years of direct working experience in the ICT industry.
- Degrees awarded by local/ private institutions of higher learning, including those awarded under any collaborative/ franchising schemes with local or foreign partners must be accredited by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA).
- Holding a STPM/Diploma certificate, age of 30 years and above, passed the APEL assessment examinations
For International Applicants:
- A minimum score of 550 in TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
- A minimum score of 5.0 in IELTS (International English Language Testing System)
For Malaysian Applicants:
- A minimum score of band 3 in MUET (Malaysian University English Test)